what’s coming with the tide?
current readings and events
Friday September 6, 2019, Eden Mills Writers’ Festival
In Conversation: Marina Endicott and Guy Gavriel Kay
Featuring a special appearance by Garry Thomas Morse and Matt Brubeck
recent readings, workshops & festivals…
• Reading at Booked! in Fernie, British Columbia, 7 pm, May 30, 2019
• An intensive week on Writing Historical Fiction at University of Toronto’s Summer Writing School, July 8-12, 2019
Denman Island Writers Festival July 19-22, 2018, with Caroline Adderson, Yasuko Thanh, Emily St. John Mandel
Books Actually bookshop in Singapore with Helen Oyeyemi, April 19, 2018
Saskatchewan Writers Conference, Saskatoon, January 2018
with South African novelist Mandla Langa in Tonga
Read online: a new short story, Lynch Law, in the Walrus Magazine
Brick Magazine, “Childhood books: Terrible, Horrible Edie,” Most formative childhood book, in most formative magazine.
“The Policeman’s Wife, some letters,” Mayerthorpe poems, in Numero Cinq, July 2011.
“Eden in Alberta,” with Matteo Pericoli, the New York Times, June 4, 2011.
New Year’s Eve, an adult literacy book for Good Reads Canada.
“The Fine Art of Basking,” a chain story in the National Post, August 12, 2011.
Hiveblog, a UK booksellers site, asked me to do five guest blogs:
1. Displaywriter I wouldn’t be a writer at all if it weren’t for the IBM Displaywriter, a word-processing system used by the Canadian government in the early 80s.
2. Life into Art In my twenties I lived in London, trying to break into theatre, full of passionate intensity. Strangely believe it, the English theatre lacked all conviction that it ought to be impressed…
3. Razzle Dazzle I’ve been living in vaudeville for some time now, the pinkish gaslight gleam of early vaudeville, known as Polite Vaudeville.
4. Writing the War I intended the The Little Shadows to be a vaudeville romp. I wanted to sashay around onstage and make jokes and have a good time for a change.
5. The Quality of the Failure “Half the time I fail to do it on the first trial, but by means of a lot of little extra comedy turns following the failure, I usually succeed in making my audience believe my failure is intentional.”
Practice alone before a mirror, then before one or two of your friends, and ask them to tell you of any faults they see in your work.
Frederick LaDelle, How to Enter Vaudeville
The fabulous Writer’s Pet interview with bonus photo of my dog.
Marita Dachsel’s writing mothers’ blog, All Things Said & Done
The Festival of Words in Moose Jaw, July 14-16, 2017
Historical Fiction at U of T Summer Writing School, July 10-14, 2017
The beautiful Shoe Project in Canmore, AB, May 30-June 24, 2017—best workshop ever!
Reading from Lincoln in the Bardo with George Saunders, Calgary Wordfest, May 9, 2017
Madeleine Thien interview, St Albert StarFest, April 29, 2017
U of A/MacEwan writer- in-residence reading, with Jaspreet Singh, March 17, 2017
Hudson Story Fest, October 20, 2016
Reading with Alissa York, Edmonton, October 19, 2016
Sunshine Coast Writers Festival, Sechelt, BC, August 11-15, 2016
Panel discussion with Greg Hollingshead, Nino Ricci and Alissa York, Harbourfront June 17, 2016
…a while ago, in patches:
CLOSE TO HUGH longlisted for the Scotiabank Giller Prize
Lorenzo Reading Series
Thursday, September 24, 7 pm: UNB Saint John, Ganong Hall Lecture Theatre
Wednesday, September 23, 8 pm: UNB Fredericton, Dugald Blue Auditorium in Marshall D’Avray Hall
Tuesday, September 22, 7 pm: St Mary’s University, Loyola 170, 923 Robie Street, Halifax
Readings in Newfoundland
Writers Alliance of Newfoundland & Labrador
Reading Sunday, September 20, 8 PM
at Cox and Palmer Second Space, LSPU Hall, St. John’s, Newfoundland
Reading Thursday, September 17, 7 PM
Grenfell Campus, Corner Brook
CLOSE TO HUGH launch, Edmonton, Audrey’s Books, 2 pm Sunday, May 24, 2015, in conversation with Jacqueline Baker
HUGH on the Eh! List at the North York Public Library, 7 pm Wednesday, May 27 in conversation with Alissa York
and at the Bookshelf Café, Guelph, 7 pm Thurday, May 28, 2015
CLOSE TO HUGH at the St Albert Public Library, 2 pm Sunday, May 31, 2015
with Jacqueline Baker again—we’ve got a lot to talk about…
Marina Endicott & Guy Vanderhaeghe
Calgary Wordfest Event, June 1, 2015 7 pm, Dutton Library
talking about HUGH online: Toronto Public Library Book Buzz, Thursday, June 4, 2015
CLOSE TO HUGH at the Bayfield Festival, June 18, 2 PM
Elephant Mountain Festival in Nelson, BC, Saturday, July 11, 2015
onstage with Kate Pullinger and Bob Bossin